Saturday, December 13, 2014

Brace yourselves...this is the first trimester post

I didn't need two pink lines to tell me what I already knew: I. was. pregnant. My tell-tale sign of peeing every five seconds was there; true, but it was more than that. I just had that feeling. I took a test at 3 1/2 weeks, and even though the line was faint, it was still there. I told Clay the next day using a bun in the oven. Yes, I am aware of just how cheesy and unoriginal this was. Hehe! Throughout the coming weeks I took six...uh a few more pregnancy tests. ;) And I was feeling fairly good! I remember googling when morning sickness usually starts. I was worried because it hadn't set in yet. Silly woman.

If you have spent any time with me at all, you know two very big pieces of McKayla information. First is that I have insane GI problems. Which is directly correlated to point number two.  I am a granola head, organic, whole foods, nut job. And when I saw those two pink lines, I had visions in my head of being a glowing pregnant lady while walking around a health food store. I had a list of foods that were good to eat while pregnant. I even bought myself some organic pregnancy tea. Ooooh friends, I was smug. VERY smug. Pride always comes before the fall, and let me tell you, I fell hard.

I went from this...
To this.
BAM! The sickness came with no mercy. I was no longer concerned with having a non-gmo, organically grown carrot. I just wanted ANYTHING that I could keep down. I started eating things that I haven't touched in years. Cheez-Its, Cheerios, instant mashed potatoes, and Coke were all fair game. I could no longer watch television or read a magazine (have you ever noticed the abundance of food marketing), I couldn't wash dishes or cook (sorry clay), and I certainly had a huge problem with going to the grocery store. I sat in my car and had a pump up routine that could've rivaled Rocky. And as soon as I would get into the store, I would see just how little oxygen I needed to survive on, while strategically trying to breathe through my mouth. Because of this joyful journey, the first picture I actually took of my baby bump was at 16 weeks.

Straight out of the shower. No make-up. Don't judge too harshly. 
But I did it. I survived. And I must say that I am dang proud of myself. Eating is still a struggle for me, but I am gaining tips and tricks that are really helping. And at the end of the day, I am thankful for every ounce of morning sickness. It means hormones are working and that I am holding onto this little one. Do I still wake up regularly in a panic over this baby's health? Absolutely. But overall, the main lesson I have learned is to cut myself some freaking slack. So what if I am not a model pregnant person? So what if I couldn't regularly keep down my prenatals? So what if I had toast for dinner instead of a steak? I am doing the best that I can. And that's all anyone can ask for. :)

And this is what I will leave you with :)

Some fun happenings from my first trimester:

1. My emotions cannot be trusted. I have cried over Outback Steakhouse, a car commercial, a cartoon, and being out of pickles.

2. My memory has officially left the building. I walked into the men's bathroom at Walmart. Twice. In one week.

3. Tired just doesn't even cut it. I fell asleep in a Safeway parking lot while trying to make a quick list. I was out for 20 minutes. I have also taken a nap in a church pew where I work. (YES I was on my lunch break.)

4. I have learned to never be too prideful to ask for help. My friend Tanya came over and literally washed every dish in the sink and on the counters because I couldn't touch it. (Have I said thank you enough yet?)

5. I have had to learn how to ask my family and friends how they are doing. A funny thing happens when you become pregnant. Everyone thinks that's all I want to talk about. I have had to work very hard at veering the conversation back to their lives. But it is a burden I am grateful for. I love these people. :)

6. I love my husband. Sappy? Ya probably. Do we still fight like second graders on a playground? Oh ya. But every time that man comes home from a 12 hour work day to a messy house, or when he sits through my vomiting, or talks to my belly, or encourages me to keep going, or listens to me at 2am because I'm having a panic attack; I love him a little more. Thanks, Slugger. You are my hero.


My two favorite comments during my first trimester (both from men):

1. "I understand how difficult it is to be pregnant." Oh you do, do you? I had absolutely no idea that you were the first man to ever successfully birth a child. I should probably alert the media.

2. "Well have you tried crackers for your sickness?" Oh I forgot with all your wild experience being pregnant that you must be the expert. And no I haven't tried crackers. I just simply love throwing up my breakfast. It's my favorite thing.

-Disclaimer: I love men. And I have unknowingly said far worse things to other people (pregnant women included). So let me take this opportunity to say: IM SORRY for whatever I said out of ignorance.


Coming Up: How we told our families, 17 weeks, and our announcement :)

Until next time!




3 comments:

  1. McKayla! I am SO incredibly excited for you and Clay!! You guys are going to be amazing parents. It's a breath of fresh air to hear some REAL pregnancy stories! Keep fighting for that little one (which I know you will do)!
    Liz Morris

    ReplyDelete
  2. McKala, I love your posts! your a great writer!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! This is so fun and exciting to read! I love all of this!! Finally a "REAL" pregnancy blog. You are doing so fantastic.

    ReplyDelete